What is Christian Formation at Christ Church?
Christian formation is the lifelong process of growing in relationship with God, self, others, and all creation. At Christ Church, we seek to offer opportunities to learn and grow in the Christian faith for children, young people, and adults. The pace of life today—with its increasing demands on our time and focus—requires us to be open and adaptive in the formation opportunities we offer to the congregation.
Sunday morning remains our central formative experience. On Sunday morning, we learn and grow spiritually through our Episcopal liturgy, and we receive and give the support that Christian community offers. Together as fellow pilgrims, both young and old, we share our burdens and our joys on this lifelong journey. It is through this process that we can fulfill our baptismal vows and grow into the people God wants us to become.
Formation opportunities for you at Christ Church:
- 4th and 5th grade Book Group, Tea Time– Meets the second Tuesday of the month from 3:30-4:30 at the church. We enjoyed reading A Wrinkle in Time together and then saw it on the big screen to complete our study.
- The Wonder Group– Middle School age, meets the second Wednesday of the month from 6:00-7:30. Locations have varied from homes to downtown Exeter’s cafe Hemingway’s. Books we have read: Wonder and The Inquisitor’s Tale.
- Soul Sisters– A mom’s group that meets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month. Some books we have enjoyed are The Price of Privilege, The Gifts of Imperfection, Turtles all the Way Down.
- Bible Study– Sunday Mornings at 9:00-9:50, with Deacon Charlie in the Dodd Room.
Offerings During Lent:
Lenten Prayer and Discussion
- 10:30 am – 12:00 noon in the Dodd Room
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm in the Chapel
Some good books we’ve enjoyed at Christ Church!
Inquirers’ Class: What it Means to Be an Episcopalian
Throughout the year, the Rector offers a four week class to learn more about the Episcopal Church.
This class will help you journey more deeply into God, Jesus, the Bible, the Church, and things that matter. The class invites your questions about faith, and is created for all seekers – those who know very little, the spiritual if not overly religious, those who have wandered far away from church or have been turned off by religion, or those who haven’t examined their faith in a long time.
The Inquirers Class include questions like:
- What do I have to believe to be a Christian?
- What is the importance of the Book of Common Prayer?
- What do Episcopalians believe about the Bible?
- What is Baptism all about?
- Do I have to believe everything in the creeds?
- Was Jesus really God, or was he just a great and inspired teacher?
- Do Episcopalians believe that Christ is really present in Communion, or is Communion just a symbol?
- Why do some people cross themselves, and when do they do it?
- What is the world-wide Anglican Communion?
Whether you’re new to Christ Church and Christian faith, or have been a lifelong Episcopalian, this class may be just right for you. Stay tuned for the 2017-2018 dates. If interested please email to Rector at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at 772-3332.
Other Education Activities for Children & Youth
There are many opportunities for children and youth at Christ Church. Please click on each link below for more information.