This is a help page for this web site’s administrators.
This page is not generally visible to web site visitors.
To access this page from the web site, click on the last image that appears as a slider on the home page — the photo of the CC sign.
I encourage others to add their notes to this page.
How to add the text of a sermon:
1. Put the audio file on the web site just like you usually do.
2. Store the PDF of the sermon someplace on your hard drive, and give it a name that makes sense to you.
3. From the main Admin page, click “Media Library” and upload the sermon file.
4. Hover over the newly uploaded file, click “Edit,” then highlight and “copy” the entire URL to your clipboard.
5. Along the left of the Admin page, click “Sermons,” hover over the sermon page you want to edit, and click “Edit.”
6. Just below the [line of stuff in square brackets] add a line something like:
Read the text: The Sin of Smallness and the Grace of More
7. Highlight the title of the sermon, and click the link symbol in the gray area just above the text box (it looks like 3 links of a chain).
8. In the “URL” box, paste the URL that you copied to your clip board in step 4, click the “open in a new window” box, then click “Add Link.”
9. You should be back on the Sermon page – click “Update,” then check that the link works (I usually run the church’s web site in a separate window from the admin window).
How to add the text of a sermon when there is no audio file:
1. Store the PDF of the sermon someplace on your hard drive, and give it a name that makes sense to you.
2. From the main Admin page, hover over “Media Files” and click “Add New,” and then upload the sermon file.
3. On the line containing the newly uploaded file, click “Edit,” then highlight and “copy” the entire URL to your clipboard.
4. Along the left of the Admin page, hover over “Sermons” and click “Add New.”
5. In the box labeled “Enter title here,” put the sermon’s date followed by the title, for example:
September 4, 2016: Choosing Life
6. In the larger box below the title, type “Read the text,” followed by the title, for example:
Read the text: Choosing Life
7. Highlight the title of the sermon that you have just typed, and click the link symbol in the area just above the text box.
8. In the “URL” box, paste the URL that you copied to your clip board in step 3, click the “open in a new window” box, then click “Add Link.”
9. Along the RIGHT side of the Sermon page, scroll down a bit and check the name of the person who preached.
9. Scroll up again and click Publish (or it may say Update if you are making changes).
10. Open the church’s web site again in a separate window (not as the Administrator) and check the links to make sure they work.
How to add a person to the Contact Form:
- On the left of the Admin page, hover over “Appearance,” then click on “Theme Options.”
- Along the top of this page, click on “Contact Form.”
- You will see a list of contacts consisting of the person’s name, a comma, and their email address.
- Edit this list, as needed, then click “Save Options.”
- Click “Staff” along the left side of the Admin page
- Hover over the person you want to add as a contact, and click “Edit.”
- Toward the bottom of this page, in the box labeled “E-mail Button,” select the person from the drop-down contact list you edited in Step 4 above.
- In the box below that, select “Contact” from the drop-down list.
- Click “Update.”
- Check that an e-mail button now appears under “About Us” – “Contact Us” – “Clergy and Staff.”
- While there, hover your mouse over the button for the staff person of interest, and right click on it. Copy the url which you will need to use for step 15 below.
- Next, to also have an email button appear on the person’s Bio page, do this:
- On the left of the Admin page, click “Pages.”
- Find the page that contains the person’s Bio (the “search” box in the upper right is helpful), hover over it, and click “Edit.”
- Add a line that resembles the following. Note that the code begins and ends with a “button” tag. The url is the link to the contact form you created in step 11 above.
*button url=”http://christchurchexeter.org/contact/?contact=f5669a0b5a8e4964e24b1cc6b4f7f81c”*Email Bruce Adami*/button*
Except where there is a * replace with an enclosing square bracket.
- Update the page and check that the button was created correctly. You are done!
How to edit the text under the slider images:
- From the Admin page, hover over “Appearance” (along the left), and select the first Theme Options
- Click the “Homepage” tab (along the top)
- The text appears in the area labeled “Intro Message.”
- Edit this text (HTML code is accepted).
- Click “Save Options” when you are done.
- In a separate window (not logged in as the Administrator) check the home page to verify your changes.
How to edit text in the upper right corner of the home page:
- From the Admin page, hover over “Appearance” (along the left), and select:
- Click: Site Title and Tagline
- Click the drop-down arrow
- Edit the text that appears in the Tagline box – HTML tags are allowed such as <br> and <i></i>.
Directions for uploading Recorded Sermon to CCEX website:
- Record sermon
- Upload sermon to Audacity (sound editing program)
- Edit file to include only the sermon
- Export file as MP3 (File/Export as MP3)
- Upload MP3 to SoundCloud (online website)
- Login id:
- Add tag = “sermon”
- Save track
- “Go to your track”
- Share track (icon below file that looks like box with arrow)
- “Embed” (on top next to “Share”)
- Checkmark “Wordpress code”
- Copy URL
- Log in to CCEX website for editing http://christchurchexeter.org.s172556.gridserver.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fchristchurchexeter.org.s172556.gridserver.com%2Fwp-admin%2F&reauth=1
- Username =
- Password =
- Click “Sermons” — “Add new” in left menu
- Paste URL from SoundCloud in large white area
- Change “450” in last line of URL to “120”
- “Title” of sermon is left blank unless text with title is emailed from speaker.
- Checkmark who spoke in right column labeled “Sermon Speakers”
- “Publish” in top right box—if uploading on a day other than Sunday, change the date to Sunday’s date in the area of “Publish” where it has a date listed. It will say “Publish immediately” if uploading on Sunday.
- Check to see that sermon has uploaded to CCEX website. (http://christchurchexeter.org/)
YOU ARE DONE! (call Jim if needed: 603-583-8110)
How to edit Widget Titles
- From the Admin page, hover over “Appearance” (along the left), and select:
- On the righthand side, you will see all of the different sidebars available throughout the site.
- From here, find the sidebar where the widget you are looking for is, and click on it. It may take some trial and error to find the right one.
- When you find the correct area, click on the widget that you would like to change.
- A smaller editor should pop up, and from here you can change the widget title.
- Don’t forget to click save, and the changes will be in place.
- If the changes don’t show up right away, try resetting your browsers cache. If they still do not show up after that, go back through and make sure that you changed the correct widget area.
How to add a Link to a Page
- On the page where you want to place the link, type the text you want for the link.
- Highlight the text with your mouse (hold the left mouse button while dragging the cursor over the text).
- Click the little icon (above the page’s text area) that looks like the link of a chain. A small pop-up window will appear.
- Enter the complete URL for the link to go to (hint, copy and paste the URL if you can. For linking to something in the Media Library, before you start this link creation procedure, get the URL by editing the file in the Media Library, locate the URL along the right, and copy the ENTIRE URL before proceeding with this procedure).
- Click the gear wheel to the right of the URL you just pasted (“Link Options”). A larger pop-up window will appear.
- Click on the option “Open in a new tab.”
- Click “Update” in the pop-up window.
- Click “Update” in the page you’ve just edited.
- Check to see if it worked.
How to create a new Page
- On the admin page, hover over ‘Pages’ and click ‘add new.’
- Give it a title in the Title box. This will appear at the top of the new page, but is not necessarily the same as the menu text (see below).
- Type the text you want, exactly as you want it to appear (use the formatting options).
- You may insert photos: first upload them to the Media Library. Click on the ‘Add Media’ button and follow the instructions. You can re-size the photo or move it around as needed.
- As an option, you may add a “Featured Image” (scroll down and look on the right side for where to do this). This is the image that will appear across the top of the new page, and needs to be exactly 960 pixels wide by 250 pixels high before it is uploaded to the Media Gallery.
- When you are done, click ‘Publish’ (on the right).
- DO NOT BE AFRAID OF TRYING THINGS! It is absolutely impossible to make a fatal mistake — the new page can always be deleted.
How to add an item to the drop-down menus
- First, create the page (if it does not already exist). Note: the stuff on the right of the Page creation/editing page that talks about ‘Parent Pages’ has no bearing on the web site’s menus, and has generally been ignored as pages are created.
- On the main Admin page, hover over ‘Appearance’ and click on ‘Menus.’
- Toward the left you will see an area labeled ‘Pages’ with tabs ‘Most Recent,’ ‘View All,’ and ‘Search.’
- Find the title of your page, check the box to the left of it, then click ‘Add to Menu.’
- By default, the system places your new menu item at the very bottom of the menu structure, and makes it one of the major categories that are displayed on the web site – probably not what you really want!
- Hover over your menu item, click and hold the left mouse button, and drag the menu item to the place in the structure where you want it to appear, then release the mouse button. Note that by indenting the menu item you can make it a sub-category of an existing item in the menu structure.
- By clicking the down arrow on the right of your menu item you can change the text that appears in the menu structure. (There’s also an option here to remove the menu item, which will not delete the page, just make it not visible in the menu structure.)
- Click ‘Save Menu’ at the very bottom.